Talking About Chronic Pain Treatment Options
If you have chronic pain, learning about pain management options can sometimes feel overwhelming. Talking with your family, friends and others in your life can provide welcome support. It is also very important to take the time to prepare for conversations with your pain specialist and medical team.
Before you meet with your doctor:
- Write down questions to bring with you.
- Gather your medical records to share.
- Be ready to take notes to help you remember important points.
- Consider bringing a friend or family member to your appointment.
When you meet with your doctor, ask:
- About the severity of your condition
- The implications of your symptoms
- What therapies may be best for you
- What to expect when you receive a therapy
During your discussion, your doctor should give you:
- A clear explanation of your condition and pain management options, as well as the risks and benefits of each option
Before your meet with you doctor, you may find it helpful to print and fill out a chronic pain assessment.