‡Indicates a third party trademark, which is property of its respective owner.
a. Optimal CF contact defined as those patients where ≥ 90% lesions ≥ 10 g.
b. Nonoptimal CF contact defined as those patients where ˂ 90% lesions ≥ 10 g.
c. Clinically relevant success: no documented, symptomatic recurrence of atrial arrhythmia > 30 seconds (patient could use an AAD).
d. Repeat ablation after the protocol defined 3-month blanking period, protocol defined success used for analysis.
*In an independent head-to-head bench test comparison with the ThermoCool SmartTouch SF catheter, TactiCath Quartz contact force ablation catheter showed higher accuracy in both axial (perpendicular) and parallel (lateral) orientations.10
1. Kuck K. H., Reddy, V.Y., Schmidt, B., Natale, A., Neuzil, P. Saoudi, N., … Shah, D. C. (2012). A novel radiofrequency ablation catheter using contact force sensing: Toccata study. Heart Rhythm, 9(1), 18-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.hrthm.2011.08.021
2. Reddy, V., Shah, D., Kautzner, J., Schmidt, B., Saoudi, N., Herrera, C., … Kuck, K. H. (2012). The relationship between contact force and clinical outcome during radiofrequency catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation in the TOCCATA study. Heart Rhythm, 9 (11), 1789-1795. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.hrthm.2012.07.016
3. Neuzil, P., Reddy, V., Kautzner, J., Petru, J. Wichterle, D., Shah, D., … Kuck, K. H. (2013). Electrical reconnection after pulmonary vein isolation is contingent on contact force during initial treatment: Results from the EFFICAS I Study. Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology, 6 (2), 327-333. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/CIRCEP.113.000374
4. Kautzner, J., Neuzil, P., Lambert, H., Peichl, P., Petru, J., Cihak, R., … Kuck, K. (2015). EFFICAS II: optimization of catheter contact force improves outcome of pulmonary vein isolation for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Europace, 17(8), 1229-1235.
5. Reddy, V., Dukkipati, S., Neuzil, P., Natale, A., Albenque, J. Shah, D., … Mansour, M. (2015). Randomized controlled trial of the safety and effectiveness of a contact force sensing irrigated catheter for ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: Results of the TactiCath Contact Force Ablation Catheter Study for Atrial Fibrillation (TOCCASTAR) study. Circulation, 132 (10), 907-915. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.114.014092. Optimal CF contact defined as those patients where ≥ 90% lesions ≥ 10 g. Nonoptimal CF contact defined as those patients where ˂90% lesions ≥ 10 g. Direct comparisons between studies are not possible due to differences between study methodology. Repeat ablation after the protocol defined 3-month blanking period, protocol defined success used for analysis.
6. Bourier, F., Gianni, C., Dare, M., Deisenhofer, I., Hessling, G., Reents, T., . . . Al-Ahmad, A. (2017). Fiberoptic contact-force sensing electrophysiological catheters: how precise is the technology? Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology, 28(1), 109-114. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jce.13100
7. Natale, A., Reddy, V. Y., Monir, G., Wilber, D. J., Lindsay, B. D., McElderry, H. T., … Marchlinski, F. E. Paroxysmal AF catheter ablation with a contact force sensing catheter: Results of the prospective, multicenter SMART-AF trial. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 19 (64), 647-656. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2014.04.072
8. Mansour, M. (2016, January). Contact force sensing in AF ablation: A health-economic analysis. Presented at the meeting of the AF Symposium, Orlando, FL
9. Mansour, M., Karst, E., Heist, E. K., Dalal, N., Wasfy, J. H., Packer, D. L., … Mahapatra, S. (2016). The impact of first procedure success rate on the economics of atrial fibrillation ablation. Journal of the American College of Cardiology: Clinical Electrophysiology. Available online 3 August 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jacep.2016.06.002
10. Bourier F, Deisenofer I, Hessling G, et al. (2016, May). Contact force sensing electrophysiological catheters: How accurate is the technology? [Abstract PO03-170]. Presented at HRS 2016, San Francisco, CA. Heart Rhythm. 2016;13(5 Suppl 1):S318-S319